Monday, September 07, 2009

Not Just for Girls

I noticed The Girls' Guide to Rocking in the gift shop at the Experience Music Project in Seattle when I was out there recently (great museum, BTW). I wasn't sure if it was serious or not, so I waited to check it out on the web before buying it "for my daughter" (wink, wink).

Turns out it's a fun book, but also quite serious, and despite the title, not just for girls. Author Jessica Hopper covers pretty much all the bases for anyone who might be thinking of picking up an instrument, writing and recording some songs, or forming a band. Topics range from how to select a guitar or drum set to how to deal with conflicts in a band, how to record demos at home, how to promote gigs, and much more. Other topics include musical instruction, lyric writing, producers, managers, touring, stage fright, and the importance of ear protection when you're exposed to amplified music. It's a great book - Hopper covers a lot of useful and practical ground in 224 pages. Most of the quotes in the book are from female musicians (not all of them "rockers"), and there is a lot of encouragement aimed at girls, but this book would be really helpful for anyone trying to get started doing music (other than classical, I suppose).

I wish I had something like this when I was trying to be serious about doing music back in my college days (I was pretty clueless). And I actually do plan to give it to my daughter now that I've read it.

No comments: