Sunday, September 16, 2012

WWII Invades Worcester Airport


The Collings Foundation brought its Wings of Freedom tour to Worcester Airport this weekend. I spent a few hours there this afternoon, resisting the temptation to take another "once in a lifetime" flight in one of their historic aircraft. The P-51 is a little pricey but I could take a flight in the B-17... maybe next year (I flew their T-6 Texan just last month, can't get greedy).


So I just enjoyed a gorgeous afternoon talking with other historic aviation enthusiasts and checking out an especially nice group of their flyable airplanes: B-24 Liberator (which I flew last September when they visited ORH), B-17 Flying Fortress, P-51 Mustang, and new this year, the FM-2 Wildcat (WWII Navy fighter) and the A-36 Apache (the dive bomber version of the P-51 Mustang, which I had never seen). They also had a couple of WWII era ground vehicles including a Sherman tank. Here are a few pictures. More pictures on Flickr.


No comments: