Wednesday, May 28, 2008

Optimism as Strategy

Wired Magazine is 15 years old. I remember buying the first issue in the UCLA bookstore in 1993 (not sure what I was doing in LA and at UCLA that day). I've always liked this future-oriented magazine and I still look forward to reading it each month. The current issue looks back at things they got right and wrong over the years, in the form of a letter from Wired founder Louis Rossetto to his children. You can read the article yourself here, but I really like his closing comment about the future:
The challenge is obvious, the dangers present, the need great. But be optimistic. I would say that, wouldn't I, since we were often accused during my time at Wired of being overly optimistic. But optimism is not false hope, it's a strategy for living. If you are optimistic about the future, you will step up and take responsibility and attempt to make it better for yourselves and your own children.

No comments: