Thursday, April 22, 2010

Beautiful New Album by Aqualung

Amazon's free MP3 earlier today was a song called "Magnetic North" by Aqualung, which is the recording name of singer-songwriter Matt Hale (it's still free on this page). I downloaded it this morning and immediately loved this song. I listened to it maybe three times before sampling the other tracks on the new album it comes from (it's the title track). They sounded great too, so I bought the album. I've been listening in the car and at home today, and it is just such a beautiful collection of music. Amazing melodies, excellent singing, lovely arrangements. One of those albums I wish I'd written and recorded myself. It's making me want to write some songs on piano - I haven't done that for a while.

I realize now that I have a couple of Aqualung songs in my MP3 collection (from Paste and other samplers I think). I liked those songs but never looked further - there's just so much music, it's hard to keep track of even the good stuff! Now I'll have to check out his earlier albums sometime. Serendipity strikes again (actually marketing - I'm a sucker for free samples).

No comments: