Friday, July 28, 2006

Mars for Less for Orbiter: PPT Done!

MTSV Modules Assembling with CEV
The PowerPoint I will present next Saturday at the Mars Society Conference is finally done! It's 26 slides including six short video clips that total about five minutes (I know, too much material for a 30 minute presentation). I think it's good but in some ways it seems like a relatively small result for all the work that co-authors Andy McSorley, Mark Paton, Grant Bonin, and I put into it over the last 3 or 4 months. But of course it's not the whole story. I still have to finish the technical paper itself, for which Mark has contributed some 10 pages on his Orbiter-based design and testing for Mars EDL (entry/descent/landing - I've got a nice video of the entry and landing). And the spacecraft, launch vehicles, accessories, and dozens of scenarios will be assembled and released as a new Orbiter add-on as soon as we get a chance to clean up all the loose ends.

The picture above is from one of the slides - it shows the two sections of the MTSV about to be assembled in LEO with the help of NASA's CEV and two EVA astronauts. More pix on Flickr.

No comments: