Monday, July 24, 2006

Read This Interview!

I happened to notice this link to a video feature page in my daily New York Times news email. It's a wonderful interview with Neil deGrasse Tyson, an astrophysicist, author, and director of the Hayden Planetarium in New York. I've seen Tyson on TV and read some of his work, and I know him as an articulate and passionate proponent of space exploration, astronomy, and science education. But in this 30 minute interview (in 7 short "chapters"), he gets right to the heart of what matters to him and why it matters to all of us. Great stuff. It may require registration with the Times web site to view these videos (low and high bandwidth versions available).

Unrelated except that it's also in the New York Times today is this opinion piece on the psychology of retribution and retaliation, "He Who Cast the First Stone Probably Didn’t." It seems that escalation is built into our fundamental psychology. Bummer. But my brother always did hit me first -- except for that one time...

No comments: