Sunday, April 27, 2008

A Weepie Vampire Weekend

This weekend I'm driving a lot and listening mostly to the "last two weeks" play list on my iPod. I've downloaded some really cool music recently, including the new Weepies album Hideaway - strong songwriting and gorgeous harmonies. I also love Vampire Weekend, a NYC indie-band with African-style guitars, quirky lyrics, and a sound that sometimes reminds me of The Police. Another recent download was Volume One by She & Him, a duo consisting of M. Ward and winsome, doe-eyed actress Zooey Deschanel (pictured). Their sound is quite retro, reminding me of early sixties girl groups and even the Mamas and the Papas.

Finally a great find via iTunes' free single of the week, Worriesome Heart by Melody Gardot. This 22 year old singer-songwriter has a voice and style somewhat reminiscent of Norah Jones. She was badly injured in a bicycle accident when she was 19, and a doctor recommended that she take up music to help overcome neurological problems. Although she remains disabled from her injuries, her musical "therapy" really helped her and also revealed an amazing (and fast developing!) talent.

No comments: