Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Don't Miss the Deadline!

The July 1 deadline to apply for the 2009 NASA Astronaut Candidate Class is fast approaching - get more information here. I was thinking I have a pretty good background - optical engineer, private pilot, space freak, informal educator - though I assumed I would be too old. But amazingly enough, according to this FAQ, there are no age restrictions! I suppose the physical could be a little tough to pass (I've read enough astronaut memoirs to know this is a major understatement!).

So I don't think it's the right time for a career change for me. But you, gentle reader, what about you? You love space, you've got a technical degree, you've seen The Right Stuff. You could do it! Sure it's competitive, but give it a shot. You'd probably have to wait a few years for Orion, but they will be flying NASA astronauts to the ISS on Russian Soyuz and maybe even SpaceX Dragon spacecraft before then. And then there's the Moon...

No comments: