Thursday, December 21, 2006

Let's Get Small!


Here's a video that I learned about from a post in the Orbiter Forum (which I can't reach now due to a problem - I'll add a referral credit later). It's another way to look at the relative sizes of planets and stars, but the gradual zoom-out in this video seems more effective in conveying this than does a single still image or even a series of stills. It really emphasizes the 3D-look of these (mostly) self-illuminating astronomical objects. This video was posted by a number of different people on YouTube and it contains no credits itself, so I don't know who actually created this. If you do, please let me know.

Of course there are other "cosmic zoom" movies around including the classic "Powers of Ten" (and the Simpsons version too). If you're really old (like me), you may even recall when "let's get small" was part of a comedy routine. Anybody remember who that was?

No comments: