Friday, January 19, 2007

On a brighter note...

Mike Griffin at MSC 2006
On a brighter note than that last post, I really like this essay by NASA Administrator Mike Griffin. Why explore space? Read this brief, pragmatic, but future-oriented opinion piece by the man charged with using the limited resources NASA is given to execute the Vision for Space Exploration. You may not agree with all his decisions and priorities, but as he pointed out when I heard him speak last summer at the Mars Society Conference, he is the policy administrator, not the policy maker. It's a tough job, and while I wish NASA would provide more support to private space developments, they have to keep a lot of balls in the air (and spacecraft in space), and I believe that Griffin's heart and mind are in the right place, and that his eyes are focused on our future as a spacefaring civilization. I still like Mike.

No comments: