Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Matching for Obama

The other day I got another contribution request from the Obama campaign. This is not surprising - a presidential election is expensive, and I have already made a number of small contributions to the campaign. As I've said a couple of times before, I'm not turning this into a political blog, but I believe this election is really important. A win for McCain would extend the Bush disaster for at least four more years. It's all hands on deck for America.

There's a new wrinkle in the latest request. To encourage prospective first time contributors, they tell them that another supporter (for example, me, for the amount I've already agreed to contribute) will match their contribution, and they optionally put the matching contributor indirectly in touch with the new one. I can write a message to my "match" explaining why I support Obama, and if they want to, they can write back. So far I've done four of the matching contributions, and gotten three replies. It's just a small personal touch, but I think it's pretty cool. Try it.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It does sound cool.

I think I'll ask about doing something like that when I make my contribution to McCain tomorrow.