Saturday, August 25, 2007

Space Travel Books

I have another early morning flight to LAX tomorrow, then a drive down to San Diego for an optics conference this coming week. I was hoping to visit the Palomar Observatory on the way down, but now I have a late afternoon business commitment, so I'll have to explore Palomar another time. It's already been a pretty good summer for astronomy and space "adventure" travel, visiting Mount Wilson and Kennedy Space Center, and attending a shuttle launch.

The top two books on my stack are both hardcovers, while I prefer paperbacks for travel, but I guess I'll manage. One is Tom Jones' astronaut memoir Sky Walking (I see that Amazon now has it as a $5.99 bargain hardcover, so I ordered an extra copy to donate to my local library, where I've been helping to upgrade their astronomy and space collection). The other is Michael Belfiore's brand-new Rocketeers, subtitled "How a Visionary Band of Business Leaders, Engineers, and Pilots Is Boldly Privatizing Space." Should be worth a little more weight in my carry on bag.

No comments: