Sunday, November 06, 2005

Doing What You Can

In vain have you acquired knowledge if you have not imparted it to others.

This Yoda-esque expression popped out of a fortune cookie the other day. I was already trying to follow the advice. I believe that we need to expand beyond this planet, to Mars and beyond, and not just for scientific exploration. I have believed this for a long time, but until recently, I wasn't doing anything about it except paying for a membership in the Planetary Society (which I still support).

As a private citizen, what can I do? One thing I'm doing now is trying to promote Orbiter as a tool for space-related education -- a way to provide simulated "hands on" experience that I believe can be more motivating than just reading, watching videos, or visiting web sites. I've also volunteered to be involved with educational outreach for the MarsDrive Consortium. I'm not sure what this will involve just yet, but there is bound to be a lot of educating to do if we are to move the idea of becoming a spacefaring civilization into the mainstream. I also plan to start talking (not just blogging) to more people about this, every chance I get. Just hope you don't sit next to me on a trans-Atlantic flight! Unless you like space stuff, of course.

No comments: